Helpful Hints for Players
Unlike many sports, golf is mostly played without supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the individual to show consideration for others and abide by the Rules of Golf. Things to keep in mind:
- Be careful when taking swings that no one is standing close by
- Don’t hit until the players in front are out of range
- If your ball is in danger of hitting someone, immediately shout the traditional word of warning – FORE
Consideration of Other Players
- Don’t disturb other players' play by moving or talking
- Please ensure that phones are in silent mode
- Don’t stand too close to other players when they are taking their shot
- On the putting green, don’t stand on another player’s line of putt, or cast a shadow over their line
- Remain on or near the green until all players in the group have holed out
- Place the flagstick in the hole before players leave the putting green
Pace of Play
- Play at a good pace and keep up!
- Please take a maximum of 10 strokes in order to keep pace, picking up the ball when appropriate. EXAMPLE: If you already have 8 strokes and you are still 3-4 shots from the hole, pick up your ball and record a 10 for your score. THIS WILL HELP SPEED UP PLAY.
- Keep up with the group in front of you. If you fall behind, pick up and catch up with the group in front of you.
- Players should BE READY to play as soon as it is their turn. Have your club out and move to your ball as quickly as possible.
- When the hole is completed, exit the putting green immediately.
- If you believe the ball may be lost in a water hazard or is out of bounds, play a provisional ball.
- The maximum time to look for a lost ball is 5 minutes.
Care of the Course
Here is a great website where you can view animated explanation of these and other tips: